Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Homeless..A 2 Year Journey to Myself.


A story of a woman that wrote to our site: when I read this, my heart was so touched and I thank, God for this lady and the MANY that have had experience's living on the streets and have come out of it. For the journey can be hard and sometimes deadly.

Our Story

Hi..I have seen books written about the Homeless.Mostly be people who "Visited" the homeless for a few weeks..Or, interviewed them..This book is ABOUT being homeless for two years..An everyday struggle, not only to make money to eat, but the daily situations. From Gang territories, to one of us being stabbed, to rainy weather, and even death of new friends. A murder on the beach one morning of a homeless kid, which sent fear throughout the homeless community.

I keep a diary of sorts while living in this..I felt like an outsider most of the time..I don't do any drugs or drink, and it was around me every moment of the day and night. It took awhile to gain trust from the "Oldtimers" there. But we did.

Selling our art on the Boardwalk daily helped to feed us.

The hard part was at night..Where to sleep that was safe. With gang battles taking place all around, the nights were at times a bit overwhelming. That impact on being safe was brought home when my boyfriend was stabbed and had 15 stitches in his back. We are not kids, I am 53 he is 42..It was an extremely hard time to get through.

We did. But not without learning more about ourselves than we ever imagined.

My art was my saving grace..Being from a family of artists, it was always there.But, finding my own style and comfort with it, was something I never would have imagined that would have happened being homeless.

The Impact

I would like the young kids to read this book.. They go out there (to Venice, Ca,) with images of Jim Morrison and the beach in their minds..The "freedom" they think they will find..It is not always like that..Alot of them find death.

Venice has been glorified in music and film..There are stark realities hidden in the darkness of the side streets.



I believe this is a book anyone can get something from. At times the daily drama read like a best selling fiction book..Except it was real, complete with everything from drama, to comedy, to horror, to insight.

What We Need & What You Get

The money I want to raise will give me the freedom to get this project going and make sure I have a roof over my head. I sell art on Ebay to meet my daily needs..This money would give me a break of sorts from that and concentrate on this book. Many people have told me I should write this.

I want to use the money to get this published and out there. Selling this book will not only benefit me, but a percentage of sales will go to "Bread and Breakfast" . A eating place just for the homeless in Venice..The morning meal there is sometimes the only meal people get that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment