Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 25, 2010

Viewpoint: A plea for the homeless.


By Jade McDowell- Wed, 06/23/2010 - 20:56
Luckily, he was homeless. That’s what I told my family.

I was e-mailing home after a particularly rough week at my internship with the New York Daily News. Almost all of my assignments that week had involved death or serious injury, and the emotional toll of interviewing traumatized witnesses and grieving family members had gotten to me.

That’s why, when I arrived at a fresh and rather gruesome accident scene, I was relieved to hear witnesses say the man killed by the taxi was homeless. The story was suddenly downgraded to a couple of factual paragraphs on a back page. No “family and friends” interviews necessary.

I hope that bothers you.

Unless you grew up riding public transportation in a big city, I’m guessing you don’t have much experience with the homeless. Sure, there were homeless people in the town you grew up in, but what were they to you? Scenery to peer at from the safety of your car? A scary nuisance to be avoided at all costs when you visited the big city? The subject of a Laurel class service project?

Whatever way you look at it, there’s one thing they probably weren’t: human beings with feelings, a past and a future.

Homelessness became a lot more real to me when I moved to New York. Now my morning commute often brings me face to face with it. The plea may include a musical performance or a touch of humor, but it usually sounds something like this: “Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention? I’m homeless and I’m hungry, and if you could spare any change it will help me get something to eat today.”

I am always impressed and humbled by the response. For every person who looks awkwardly away, there is always another who begins rifling through their pockets for loose change or dollar bills. They do it with an air of someone who has given out hundreds of dollars over the years, even though they don’t look like they have that many dollars to spare.

I’m not suggesting you go out and invite the first homeless person you see to sleep on your couch. There are plenty of transient people out there who have serious mental illnesses, who are dangerous or who will spend any money you give them on drugs.

But we can’t lose sight of the fact that not all of them are that way. In the last couple of months, I’ve met plenty of very nice, normal people who happen to be between homes at the moment. Times are tough, and not everyone can afford to make rent.

My advice? Go with your gut.

I certainly don’t get swindled by every “Vietnam Vet” sign I pass, but I don’t automatically rush past with eyes averted anymore. If I like a street performer’s music, I give them a dollar and a smile because I respect their art. I gave money to a panhandler with no arms the other day. I figured, “Maybe he really has a nice house and makes plenty of money. But hey, no matter how much money he has, he still doesn’t have any arms.”

You don’t have to give out money on the streets, or even give out food. Do what you feel comfortable with, whether it’s donating to a respectable charity, volunteering in a soup kitchen or just changing your attitude. Whatever you do, stop listening to society and start talking back.

Homeless people are people, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment